Kellys Directory Of Oxfordshire 1871
NETTLEBED is a parish and village and a polling place for the county, pleasantly situated on an eminence, 5 miles north-west of Henley and 6 from Watlington, on the high road from London to Oxford, in the hundred of Ewelme, union and county court district of Henley, rural deanery of Nettlebed, archdeaconry and Dioces of Oxford. The houses are well built, and the principal street has a remarkably clean and neat appearance. The church of St.Bartholomew was rebuilt 1846: the expenses were defrayed by subscriptions towards which the Incorporated Society for Building Churches and Chapels granted £200. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £212, in the gift of the representatives of the late incumbent the Rev.Thomas Leigh Bennett, and held by the Hon. and Rev.Henry Bligh of Christ Church, Oxford. Here is a parochial school. The Independents have a chapel here. A fair is held here on the Monday before 29th of October. The inhabitants are principally engaged in agriculture, but there are many employed in the manufacture of chairs.
There are two brick, tile and lime kilns, with potteries for course ware, especially draining pipes. A saw-mill for cutting brush board has been erected and a considerable trade is carried on in beech timber, with which this part of the county abounds. There are several good shops and inns. From the Windmill Hill, near the village, may be seen the Devil’s Dyke, near Brighton and beautiful and extensive views of the surrounding country. The principal landowner is Lord Camoys, who is also lord of the manor. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The population in 1861 was 741; the area is 1,164 acres.
Parish Clerk – Timothy Phillips
POST OFFICE – Timothy Phillips, receiver. Letters arrive by foot post from Henley-on-Thames at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.15 p.m.. The nearest money order office is at Henley-on- Thames.
Bligh Hon & Rev. Henry (vicar)
Cornwall Capt. William Henry Gardiner
Elwes Miss, Highmore
Malet Hugh Poyntz, Esq. Joyce Grove
Penlington William Howland, Esq.
Appleby Thomas boot & shoe maker & grocer
Appleby William, boot & shoe maker & shopkeeper
Averidge Charles, whitesmith
Barker John, beer retailer
Beasley Richard, carpenter & wheelwright
Bennell Alfred, beer retailer
Bennell Elizabeth (Mrs.) baker & armchair maker
Biggs & Sons, grocer and draper
Bird William, harness maker
Butler Richard, bricklayer
Eyres Henry, corn merchant
Fox Thomas, iron founder & whitesmith
Francis William, blacksmith
Freeman Henry, butcher
Gardener Elias, Fox & Hounds and wheelwright
Giles Edmond John, Bull and grocer & baker
Glasspool Lewis, farmer
Godwin John, bricklayer
Goodall Edwin, boot & shoe maker.
Goodall Mary Ann (Miss), beer retailer
Lewis James, plumber, glazier & painter
Pedington William Rowland, surgeon
Saunders John, Nag;s Head
Saunders Thomas, White Hart and baker & grocer
Silver Charles, miller
Stone Frank, Red Lion
Strange Richard, farrier
Thompson John (Mrs), brick, tile & stone ware manufacturer & saw mills.
Tranter Thomas, chair maker
Ward John, boot & shoemaker
Willis John, timber merchant & wheelwright