MARCH 13TH 1953

A quiz was held at Nettlebed village hall in aid of Nettlebed coronation fund. The subject was local knowledge. The question master was Lord Justice Hodson and the chair was taken by Col Peter Fleming. T he questions ranged over a wide field,including the local habits of the stone curlew and the verse inscribed on the tombstone of an 18th century blacksmith “who sat on the top of the brick kiln chimney for a wager”. A well filled hall was greatly amused at the efforts of the competitors and the repartee of some of the principals. South Nettlebed won by a handsome margin, Miss Appleby in particular being undefeatable. About £30 was raised for the fund.

FEB 22ND 1952

Ladder Gang Raid At Nettlebed. The “Ladder gang” or persons using methods similar to those adopted in many robberies during recent months struck at Nettlebed on Wednesday evening and made a getaway with property of the estimated value of £4.000.Target for their raid on this occasion was Merrimoles, the home of Col and Mrs Peter Fleming. Colonel Fleming is the well known writer and traveller, while Mrs Fleming is the celebrated actress Miss Celia Johnson. The robbery took place some time between 6.30 and 10pm and to carry it out the gang took a ladder from the garage, placed it against a bedroom window immediately above a room in which Mrs Fleming and some friends were sitting. So silently did they work,however, that it was not until the bedroom was visited that the robbery was discovered. A check revealed that a fur coat valued at £1000 and jewellery worth at least £3,000 was missing.


JULY 27th 1951

Nettlebed county school held an open day on Friday last when there was a large crowd of parents and friends present. The Headmaster Mr R.N.Dennis, in his speech, welcomed Mr A.R. Chorlton, the county director of Education, to Nettlebed. He went on to outline the school’s achievements which included the winning of The Henley and District Netball League cup by the girls and all the cricket and rounders matches played in the short season. The Director Mr Chorlton commented favourably on the co-operation between the parents and teachers also remarking on the good report issued recently on the school. He congratulated the staff and children on the fine performances given during the afternoon. The Chairman of the Managers, Canon R.E.T. Bell, completed a most enjoyable afternoon with an amusing speech – a fitting end to the occasion. The two school captains then called for three cheers for the Director of Education.

JUNE 29TH 1951

Unusual Contest At Nettlebed. The crowd estimated at about 2,500 that assembled in a large meadow between Nettlebed and Huntercombe for the steam traction engine race on Sunday morning was far beyond all expectations and no doubt about ninety five per cent had never seen such an event before in their lives. They came from Wallingford, Henley, Maidenhead, Watlington and many places in the surrounding district. The contest was the result of a challenge by Mr Giles J Romanes of Bray, owner of the engine names “Eileen”, who had heard of Mr Arthur C Napper’s success with “Old Timer” in a race at Appleford last year and a wager – a firkin of beer.

MAY 25TH 1951

Nettlebed Where Dog’s Disappear  “This awful part of England where animals are not safe to live their short lives” is the description applied by a correspondent to Nettlebed following the disappearance of the fifth young dog within the past two and a half years. The latest dog to disappear without a clue to his fate is Bengie,the 18 month old clever little pet belonging to Mrs Davis,of Beechwood house. With the knowledge that other dogs had vanished without trace, Bengie’s owner took pains to see that he did not wander off unaccompanied but on Sunday 13th Benjie, a jet black shaggy dog, found an open window and being full of life decided that here was a chance of a nice run on the common land and beech woods that so richly bless the area. There the story of Benjie seemingly comes to an end. No one actually saw him go, no one knows, or will admit to knowing, what has happened to him. What is it that prevents him, like the unfortunate four before him, from returning home? Has he been stolen or has something even worse happened to him? These and other questions to which there is no answer causes distress to all owners who lose their animals in similar circumstances. Such uncertainty should be banished, if only somebody who probably does know, would have the courage to tell Mrs Davis why Benjie did not return.

JUNE 1946

Victory Celebrations. Bad weather spoilt a well organised programme of victory celebrations at Nettlebed. However children from Nuffield, Park Corner, Bix and Nettlebed met together and there was a large entry for the fancy dress parade which was marshalled at the Village Hall and paraded to the recreation ground where the judges, Mrs A brown, Mrs F B Armitage and Mrs E Allardyce had a most difficult choice in deciding the winners. Owing to heavy rain the sports were abandoned and the children were taken by motor coach to the Village Hall, where they were given tea and afterwards entertained for two hours by Mr L C Imberg, ventriloquist and Mr G V Smith, Conjuror. During the evening a comic cricket match was played on the recreation ground between teams of local men and women. At dusk there was a firework display, rocket after rocket, bang after bang, and then came the finest bonfire Nettlebed had ever seen.This was lighted by Nicholas Flemimg, son of Col Peter Fleming, who was assisted by Cyril Godwin of Nettlebed and Fred Edwards of Bix.

November 1945

There was a special parade service at the parish church at 10.45 am on Remembrance Sunday Nov 11th. The parade was headed by The British Legion with their colours under Lt – Col Bidder DSO with members of the forces including the repatriated prisoners of war, detachments of the R.A and R.A.O.C and of Polish troops now in camp at Nettlebed  and was joined by Girl Guides, Cubs and Brownies. The voluntary before the service was played by a Polish organist from Warsaw. The singing of their National Anthem by the Poles to the accompaniment of their own organist was exceptionally fine. Preceded by the choir and Vicar the parade and congregation went to the war memorial (The Lych Gate) where a wreath was laid by the Polish Forces and by The British Legion and the salute given and the vicar pronounced the blessing. The parade then Marched back to the common where Col Bidder, before dispersing them, with the aid of an interpreter, publicly thanked our Polish Allies for their desire to take part and their participation in The Act of Remembrance.

June 1945

In the long and eventful annals of the Nettlebed Working Men’s Club and Institution it is doubtful if it has ever extended it’s traditional hospitality to a more gallant assembly than on the occasion of a supper party on Friday last, June 1st, a kindly gesture by Sid Smith (“Gunboat”,to his numerous friends), the illustrious steward of the club, to mark the return home of local prisoners of war. Our representative gladly accepted an invitation to be present,and hopes through this medium to be happy to convey something of the happy atmosphere which prevailed throughout the evening. The tables were laid in the billiard room and gaily decorated with flags and flowers. There was an assembly in the lounge prior to the taking of seats and it was grand to mingle with the lads and listen to some of their varied experiences. Several of them had not seen each other since the old stalag days. At 8.30 came the welcome announcement that supper was served and the following prisoners of war promptly took their seats, Platoon SM J Godwin, L/Cpl A (Tubby) Richardson, Pte W Sarney, L/Cpl Brakspear, Pte J Wheeler, Cpl J Vernon (Nuffield), L/Cpl R Wigmore (Stoke Row), L/Cpl C Starr (Cookley Green), Sgt G Stevens (Highmoor), Pte A Slade (Stoke Row), Pte A Edwards (Stoke Row), Pte L West (Benson,late of Nettlebed), Cpl G Busby (Highmoor) and Sgt R W Cox (Highmoor). A few more were unavoidably unable to be present. Amongst the other honoured guests were ex S M Ben Brown who was responsible for a good deal of the training of the lads before going overseas, Pte H Wheeler, a paratrooper home on leave from Germany, Cpl George Brakspear, a local Dunkirk hero, Pte Tim Godwin, brother of PSM Godwin, Mr R W Cobb (Vice President of the club), Mr B E Brown (Club Secretary), Mr Victor Smith, Mr W E Cooke (Representing the Committee and,lastly Mr S Smith, the donor of the feast. It may raise a laugh from those of us who have been privileged to know these hardened gentry, but ex S M Ben Brown showed considerable emotion when he rose to welcome the smiling faces which had been absent for so long and Mr R W Cobb, our retiring schoolmaster, also displayed something of restrained pride in seeing so many of his old pupils of earlier days, who had so nobly acquitted themselves in the country’s cause. Had the Minister of Food suddenly decided to adopt the role of uninvited guest he might have wondered “where the,why the, wherefore and how” such an exquisite festive board could have been accomplished. Suffice it to say, these arrangements were in the capable hands of that Wizard of the larder, Mrs S. Smith, with the ungrudging help of her daughters, Mrs.W.Sarney, Mrs.W.Harwood and Mrs “Bunny” Green. Mr Jock Green had a very busy time with the flowing cup and it seemed almost as if Colonel Chinstrap, of ITMA fame, might have been present with his phrase “I don’t mind if I do”. At the conclusion of the meal the party was entertained by Mr Victor Smith who, prior to coming to dwell amongst us, was a professional illusionist of considerable repute. It was a delightfully chosen programme of merriment and mystery that left many of us wondering how it was done. In his concluding remarks Mr Cobb tendered on behalf of all present grateful thanks to Mr and Mrs Sid Smith for their generosity and to all who had contributed in so many ways to make this evening the memorable success it had been. Never was there a village occasion so well befitting the well worn journalistic line “and a good time was had by all”.

MARCH 30TH 1945

Retirement of Mr Cobb. A correspondent writes,”It has been my privilege and pleasure to live in Nettlebed some thirty odd years,during nearly the whole of which time Mr Cobb has been the headmaster of the village school. I heard today for the first time that we are to lose him and I should like to join with the parents of the children who have attended the school as well as with the children themselves, in expressing my deep regret that such a loss is impending in the village. As a manager of the school and as a friend of many of the parents, I have had opportunities of learning how greatly indebted to him for years of patient and courageous service to the cause of education. Mr Cobb has done so many kindly things for so many of us in Nettlebed that there will be many sad hearts when he leaves the school house.

FEB 1944

Early in the war Robert Selby Armitage of Nettlebed then a temp Lieutenant R.N.V.R was awarded the George Cross for “Great Gallantry And Undaunted Devotion To Duty”. Of the deed or deed’s that won that award nothing is known to the outside world and even when asked by The King at the investiture how he came to gain the decoration Lieut Armitage had to say “I cannot say, Sir”. On Tuesday of this week the name of Robert Selby Armitage now a temp Lieut-Commander appeared once more in the London Gazette list of awards. This time he gains the George Medal for “Gallantry and Undaunted Devotion To Duty”. No more details than accompanied his first award. Before the war Mr Armitage was interested in yachting and hockey and was called to the bar but never practised.


In addition to the Remembrance services at the usual hours, a special united parish service of Remembrance, Rededication and prayer was held at 3 pm. Prior to this there was a large parade organised by the British Legion,  consisting of the military, a detachment of US troops with their colour, the British Legion with their colour, Home Guard, Royal Observer Corps, ARP and all sections of the Civil Defence, Girl Guides with their colour, Brownies and Cubs which assembled on the common and headed by the British Legion Colour marched to the parish church under the command of Col Bidder, DSO (president of the local British Legion). The church was packed to it’s utmost capacity, chairs occupying all available space. After the singing of “Fight the good fight” the colours were received at the chancel steps by the vicar, the Rev E G Pallot D.S.O who conducted the service and then were laid on the altar. The United States and British National Anthems were played. After short prayers the assembled congregation stood as an act of memorial to those who had given their lives in the last war and this. The parish roll of honour was then called by the vicar and “The Supreme Sacrifice” was sung. Following the lesson and prayers for all those serving the country in the present war, for victory for our cause and for a lasting and righteous peace, the hymn “Quit You Like Men” was sung. The address was given by the Rev J.M.H Morris, chaplain R.A.F, on the personal responsibility of everyone to help towards the creation of a new world. “O Lord Of Hosts (by Group Captain W Cooper, R.A.F) was sung as an offertory hymn. The choir and the clergy followed by those on parade and members of the congregation, left the church to the singing of the Nunc Dimittis and proceeded to the Lych-gate memorial, where the services on parade lined up, facing the memorial whilst wreaths were laid by the Colonel Commanding the US troops and by the president of The British Legion. The Legion salute was then given and the fourth verse of Laurence Binyon’s poem “For The Fallen” was recited by the vicar, who also gave the blessing. Buglers of Henley Sea Cadet Corps sounded the “Last Post” and “Reveille” and headed by the Sea Cadet Band and a detachment of the cadets under Lieut. A W Campbell R.N.V.R. the parade returned to the common where the salute was taken by the Colonel commanding the US troops.

AUG 7TH 1942

It is with regret that we have to record the death of Miss Mary Ann Lamb of High Street, Nettlebed, which occurred suddenly on Monday last after an illness of four years duration. Miss Lamb, who was 72, was one of the best known and most loved persons in the village and it was to “Polly” as she was known to young and old alike, that the villagers would go to with their troubles in the certain knowledge that they would receive helpful and sympathetic advice. For forty years Miss Lamb, a daughter of the late Mr Edwin Lamb who formerly kept The White Hart Hotel, had carried on business in the village as a newsagent, confectioner and tobacconist and few local people were more connected with the life of the village than she. She was an ardent supporter of local organisations and even though prevented of late from taking any active share in the village movements, was always willing to help in any way that lay open to her. The Funeral takes place at Nettlebed Church this (Friday) afternoon at 2 p.m.

JAN 1941

The George Cross has been awarded to temporary Lieut Robert Selby Armitage,R.N.V.R, “For Great Gallantry and Undaunted Service To Duty”. Mr Armitage’s home is at Port Hill, Nettlebed and he is the elder son of a former vicar of Nettlebed, the late Rev Philip Armitage. Details of the performance that won Mr Armitage this high award have not been published,but it is known that he has been engaged on special duty calling for initiative and courage of the highest order.

MAY 7th 1937

The village has been deprived of another of it’s most notable personalities by the death of George Harwood, which occurred at the Henley Infirmary on Wednesday April 28th, at the venerable age of 74. Numerous attempts at various times have been made to solve the mysteries and delve into the origins of village nicknames, and of the collection “Poppitt” has from earliest memory been associated with this fine old country character. Born in the house in which he spent the whole of his life,”Poppitt” was affectionately known to everyone for miles around. To those who knew him best he was the essence of kindliness and good nature and in his modest way was always eager to help his less fortunate fellows in any way within the limit’s of his purse. There was lot’s of goodness in his heart and for many years the writer remembers “Poppitt’s” weekly donation’s, with unfailing regularity, to the local hospital box. He was passionately devoted to horses, with which his life’s work on Mr Fleming’s estate brought him into such close contact. He loved to tell the story of an early attempt to smoke a full-sized cigar. Even after that he was a confirmed non-smoker. On one occasion at the conclusion of a night of revelry, snow had fallen whilst within and ” Poppitt”, finding his step’s a little uncertain and at the same time noticing an arm of the law anxiously watching developments, decided to dispense with this gentleman’s assistance by crawling home on all fours. He had a remarkable ready wit and this enviable quality remained with him even to his latter days in the Henley Infirmary. A sitting friend jokingly asked him when he was going to get up. “Well” he replied dryly, “if I get’s out somebody else’ll only get in”. These fine old characters with all their faults we love them still and their passing creates in the life of a village a gap which, in these ultra modern days, it is well nigh impossible to fill.

SEPT 13TH 1935

A Stonor – Nettlebed Romance. After being separated for 62 years, two one-time boy and girl sweethearts were married in the private chapel at Stonor Park on Sunday last. They were Mr Lewis Heath, aged 82, a Kentish Town furniture dealer and Mrs Rosetta Judge, a 77 year old widow from Nettlebed….. Two years ago Mr Heath lost his wife and he went to Nettlebed in the fulfilment of a vow made to his sweetheart that if ever he were free he would return to Nettlebed and ask her to become his wife. Mr Heath carried out his promise and at Nettlebed found his love of yester-years a widow and to her he proposed and was accepted….. Mr and Mrs Heath will reside at Nettlebed,and all lovers of romance will wish them many happy years of comradeship together.

FEB 10TH 1933

It is with the deepest regret that we announce the death of the most dearly loved and revered lady of the village (Miss Louisa Harriet Champion), which took place peacefully at her home, Nettlebed House, in the early hours of Wednesday last Feb 8th. Miss Champion attained the venerable age of 91 years on the 12th of last month, and in spite of her confinement to her bed for the last four and a half years of her life, her brain remained remarkably active, and she maintained the keenest enthusiasm in her many sources of interest, until almost the very last.A most lovable disposition, and a charming personality of whom a whole column might be written, this good lady had without exception, endeared herself to the hearts of everyone, not only in the immediate vicinity of Nettlebed, but for a very considerable radius outside the village. Her innumerable activities in the interests of the welfare of the village, many of which were unknown except to her more intimate friends, will be tremendously missed, and thoroughly impossible to replace.

FEB 26TH 1932..

An incident worthy of the most discerning reporters notebook occurred at Nettlebed during the recent severe frosts when all the pond’s in the vicinity were coated with ice. “Wombourne”, considered to be one of the deepest ponds round about, looked particularly tempting to the would-be skater or slider and it was here that a fatality might have occurred had it not been for the presence of mind of Leslie Godwin, aged 8. He had the terrifying experience of seeing one of his school companions, Willie Leverett, aged 7, who had ventured almost to the middle of the pond, suddenly fall through the ice. Without a moment’s hesitation Leslie went to his assistance at the risk of himself falling victim and succeeded in reaching and holding on to his companion until his shouts for help attracted the attention of the boy’s elder brother Freddie Leverett, aged 10, who assisted in the final rescue scene in this juvenile drama. “Were’nt you afraid that the ice would have let you through too” said our representative, in the course of a chat with Leslie. “Well,I could’nt leave Willie there, could I?”, he calmly replied.


Most of us gladly bade farewell to April with it’s fickle reputation, and welcomed the glorious sunshine and an upward jump in the temperature which heralded the arrival of May. Garlands have, perhaps, gone out of fashion, but many of our readers will remember the time when every May Day the village children would be up very early singing a song at our doors,and holding aloft a gay garland, all dressed with flowers and ribbons and grasses. Then there would be the picturesque assembly of lads and lassies on the lawn at Nettlebed House for the ceremonious crowning of the May Queen and the merry voices as they danced the round of the time-honoured May-Pole. It is a pity when these old and pleasant country customs die out, and in Nettlebed there exists a cherished appreciation of Miss Champion, who, in her more active days, did so much to encourage the proper observance of May Day.

APRIL 12th 1912

Nettlebed Windmill Burnt Down. Nettlebed windmill which for over eighty years has enjoyed the reputation of being one of the most famous landmarks in the midland counties is no more. It was burnt to the ground on Good Friday Night and it’s destruction has occasioned widespread regret. Originally erected near Watlington 82 years ago, the famous old windmill was removed and re-erected on Nettlebed Common. It was a notable landmark for miles around and could be seen, it is said, as far away as Brighton and Southampton. Occupying as it did the highest point on the Chiltern Hills, magnificent views were to be obtained from it’s summit, Windsor Castle being visible, whilst the old attendant at the mill was fond of pointing out the Crystal Palace and Devils Dyke at Brighton. The mill had not been used for it’s original purpose, that of grinding corn, for some years, but there can be no doubt that the old keeper found it a profitable business in collecting sixpences of the many visitors who risked their lives in making the difficult ascent to the summit. Nettlebed is famous for it’s health giving air and it’s magnificent scenery, and the old windmill enjoyed a veneration from hundreds of admirers which it is doubtful it would have had had it been situated elsewhere. On Sunday and Monday hundreds of people visited the spot on which the windmill stood, and bit’s of charred timber and nuts and bolts and nails were carried away by visitors as mementos of this famous old windmill. Mr Asquith, who was spending the weekend in the neighbourhood, motored over and inspected the ruins on Sunday.

AUGUST 19th 1904

Quite a sensation was caused on Sunday evening in the quiet little village of Nuffield. About 6.45 a man named Harry Pearce aged 55 years entered The Crown Hotel and seated himself on the settle in the old fashioned kitchen. He had been there barely a quarter of an hour when he leaned forward and without uttering a sound, expired.  Deceased was a noted character, and was well known in Watlington and surrounding villages. For many years, some considerable time ago, he was a coachman at Soundess House. Well known for various traits in his character, he achieved quite a reputation some years ago by going round on the sails of the old Nettlebed Windmill. He performed this dangerous and foolhardy feat for a wager,and it is stated by one who saw him make his perilous journey that he was tied head downwards on the sails, so that when he reached the top he was in an upright position. Prior to his death he had not made the slightest complaint that he felt ill and his end was as stated, “death from syncope”, tragically sudden.


An informal meeting was called by Miss Anne Champion and held at Nettlebed House to discuss the street lamps. Owing to the constant complaints of damage said to be done at the school by the entertainments and the very bad behaviour of many attending the same, Miss Champion, who for many years has had entire control of the lamps, had decided to hand them over to the parish council. The meeting consisted of the original committee, Messrs Bird, Holly, Ward, Butler and Phillips. The two former advised the giving up of the lamps and the three latter begged Miss Champion to continue to manage them as she had done, for another year. This Miss Champion, after due consideration consented to do so on the understanding that that the ratepayers assist her at the entertainments by their presence and checking anything likely to cause annoyance or destruction to school property, both inside the school and out .


On Tuesday the employees of Mrs Havers with their wives and children started from Joyce Grove in two pair horse brakes, heir destination being Henley, for a trip on the river, kindly given by Mrs Havers who accompanied the party. Henley was reached at ten o’clock and all started in the”Helen” which got as far as Pangbourne when the return journey was began. Substantial luncheon and tea were partook of on board and most thoroughly enjoyed by all. Except for slight showers the weather was all that could be desired. Henley was reached at 6pm after a most pleasant day, the only regret being that Nettlebed is soon to lose so kind a friend and supporter as Mrs Havers.

DEC 7TH 1894

New experiences are often unpleasant,but the present instance was a pleasant exception.The writer was staying with friends at Nettlebed during the past week,and was fortunate enough to witness a novel and interesting experiment. Under the auspices of the Oxfordshire County Council a series of practical lessons in laundry work were held in this village. The classes were given in the kitchens of Nettlebed House, the picturesque residence of Miss Champion. There the rustic maidens were taught the mysteries of how to wash, starch and glaze, under the watchful eye and skillful guidance of Miss Willett, from The Liverpool Technical College. They consisted of ten lessons, three being demonstrations and seven practical. A goodly number attended and, to heighten their interest and stimulate their zeal, the last lessons took the form of a competition for prizes kindly given by that enterprising firm of soap makers, Messrs Lever Bros of Birkenhead. The objects for competition were a pair of cuffs, one collar, front, serviette and underlinen. The judging took place in the dining room at Nettlebed House and the judges were a bevy of local ladies. The first prize, a set of handsome carvers in case, was won by Mrs Weller. The work was most beautifully turned out and did great credit to pupils and teacher alike.The scene on the competition night was extremely interesting and there is no doubt that this furthering of good sound instruction amongst the poorer classes cannot fail to bear good fruit. In the future no doubt the men and women of Nettlebed will be known far and wide by the snowy whiteness and exceeding stiffness of their cuffs, collars and shirts.


Many of our readers will regret to hear of the death last week almost suddenly of Tom Jarvis the mid-day Nettlebed postman. He had been ailing for several days but did not like going off duty but was at last compelled to do so by increasing illness. This, which commenced with a chill, turned to inflammation of the brain and he succumbed on Sunday after four days illness. He was married and leaves a widow and four children.

MAY 25TH 1894

Nettlebed is now looking lovely in its coat of green and the hedges clustering with May Blossom almost look like snow in the distance. The lodging houses are looking their very best and now that the Telegraph has appeared in the village and daily papers can be had in the Reading Room besides an ample library, it is hoped that visitors will soon avail themselves of the many charms of the neighbourhood and come when the days are longest and the birds sing all the time from “early morn to dewy eve”.

On Saturday a tea was given by Miss A.M Champion in the Reading Room to the aged men of the village, which was followed by a short address from Mr Johnson who is so well known in connection with the Evangelization Society and has now been for a second time holding a series of services in a large tent in a meadow kindly lent by Mr Lamb. The old men finished their evening with a smoke and ginger ale and some of them gave some very useful songs. The parish chair, which has proved so useful in the village, fetching and taking home those unable to walk.


A letter to the editor….With your kind permission, I beg to draw attention to the unsatisfactory state of the ponds at Nettlebed, particularly to the pond called ‘Stradfield’, where the inhabitants of Watlington Street derive their water for drinking purposes as they have no wells or tanks. This pond was fenced in some years ago but the fence has got so bad that the cattle stray in and fill the pond with their droppings. I went on Saturday to get a turn of water. I turned out a couple of cows that were standing in the water. I think that this has had a great deal to do with the illness that has been so bad of late. Now Sir, with a little expense this might be remedied by having them cleaned out and a new fence put round them. We have concerts for lighting the streets and the formation of a band, but nothing is done as regards the water. I hope that something will be done soon.

JAN 13TH 1893

Sunday School Treat. On Thursday Jan 5th all the children attending the Sunday School, numbering about 130, were, by the kindness of the vicar, supplied with an ample tea in the schoolroom at four o’clock. The children first amused themselves with games in the playground. “Here we go gathering nut’s and may, on a cold and frosty morning” being particularly appropriate in such wintry weather. Owing to the prevalence of Scarlet Fever in Nettlebed in the summer, the Sunday school children had not had their usual treat but apparently enjoyed themselves all the more for having to wait for it for so long. Amongst those who kindly helped to amuse the children were Miss Baumgartner, Miss Champion, Mrs Childs, Miss Bosley and Miss Wright. Mr M Childs kindly provided a box of sweetmeats to be scrambled for.


On Saturday last Feb 6th, by the kind invitation of Mrs Havers of Joyce Grove, all the men and boys who work on the different farms over which she rents the right of shooting were entertained by her to a dinner at The Bull Hotel where a most sumptuous repast was provided by the worthy landlord. The cloth having been removed, Mr Gilbert, the head keeper proposed a hearty vote of thanks to Mrs Havers and family for their great kindness. They had, he said, besides providing them with such an excellent dinner, also sent up for each man half-a-sovereign and for each boy half-a-crown. They all felt the great loss they had received by the lamented death of Mr Havers which had taken place since their last meeting and they heartily sympathised with Mrs Havers and family in their bereavement. He must thank them all for not interfering at all with the game on any part of the estate and trusted they would all meet together again on many similar occasions. Three good old English cheers were given for Mrs Havers and family which were repeated again for Mr Tanner. Some capital songs were then indulged in until time to depart, all having thoroughly enjoyed themselves and expressing the hope that their kind Donor may live for many years amongst them.


Nettlebed has sustained a very heavy loss in the somewhat sudden death of Mr J C Havers of Joyce Grove which took place on Sunday the 14th. Though it is little more the three years since he came to reside in Nettlebed, he has endeared himself to everyone in the parish by his kindly thoughtfulness and generous liberality. In every case of poverty or distress, not only in Nettlebed but in other parishes as well, he was ever ready to come forward with a large hearted liberality which has had no equal in the neighbourhood. His loss will be most keenly felt by every class in Nettlebed for everyone, from highest to lowest, has in some way benefitted by his kind and genial presence among them. In him the church at Nettlebed loses a staunch supporter. He was Churchwarden and always took a lively interest in everything connected with church affairs. Sincere sympathy will be felt for his family in their sad bereavement and the poor especially will feel that they have lost a true friend.


On Saturday Oct 1st a silver salver was presented to George Norsworthy Esq by the inhabitants of Nettlebed as a token of their esteem and regret at his giving up his residence at Joyce Grove, in that parish, where for ten years as squire his liberality and goodness have been much felt and appreciated. The presentation took place at the vicarage. The salver, a very tasteful one with appropriate inscription, was supplied by Messrs Elkington of Regent Street.


While I rehearse my plaintive song, and tell my grievance o’er, your kind attention I do crave, and sympathy implore
Long have I been your servant here, E’en upwards from my youth, in words and actions I have strived, to ever speak the truth
Sometimes I may have been too fast, and sometimes been too slow, like mankind, not perfection quite, as all might doubtless know
In bygone years when I was young, and in my youthful prime, my face looked cheerful and would tell, with truthful tones the time
Then looked down on passers by, from my exalted place, nor feared to let my voice be heard, nor yet to show my face
But ah!,i feel quite different now, my voice is seldom heard, my duty I can scarce perform, my features look absurd
Then listen to my humble cry, grant, grant me my request; and I will be your servant still, and do for you my best
My face has lost it’s youthful tinge, as with an old complaint, but still,methinks ‘twould younger look, with just a touch of paint
My hands have lost their beauty, but, (if i may be so bold), it would improve them, if they had,a pair of gloves – of gold
My figure(s) would be much improved, if nicely gilded over,  and I should look as smiling as, in youthful days of yore
Yet superficial work alone, oft causes empty pride, I do not wish for outward show, while all is wrong inside
My actions are spasmodic now, from either age or damp, my joints seem stiff and hard to move, as with the gout or cramp
But, these sad ailments may be cured, I seem to have a notion, by those who understand my case, applying oil or lotion
Then why should I stand idle here, for want of such a dressing, a few pounds spent on me might prove, a public boon and blessing
I’m not ambitious to look gay, or for apparent beauty, but wish to fill my lofty post, as one who does his duty
And should you grant me my request, couched in this simple rhyme, all kindness you bestow on me, I will pay back in time
Un Petit Oiseau, Nettlebed 


A fire broke out at the house of Mrs Thompson of The Potteries about 11 o’clock on Wednesday night by which nearly the whole house was destroyed. The Henley Volunteer Fire Brigade was sent for, the messenger arriving at Henley at about 12 o’clock. After the usual delay, caused by the difficulty in procuring horses, Deputy Captain Crouch and ten firemen proceeded to the scene of action. The limited supply of water caused some delay but eventually a good supply was procured from a large pond in the neighbourhood. The efforts of the brigade were serviceable in saving a portion of the house and the adjoining premises. We are sorry to report quite a long list of casualties to the members of the brigade. Fireman Spring had a very narrow escape from death by suffocation. He was on duty with the branch in a narrow passage when a falling of a ceiling caused such a rush of smoke, hot air and debris, that he was completely overcome and fell down insensible. Had it not been the precaution had been taken of attaching a lifeline to his belt, by which he was drawn out, he must have perished. He was conveyed to The Red Lion Inn and after receiving medical treatment was with much difficulty restored to consciousness. Mr crouch, after assisting Spring, met with a bad fall, severely spraining both wrists, from which we fear he will not recover for some time to come. Pioneers Clinch and Adams also received minor injuries, the former severed an artery which, but for the prompt attention of a medical man, might have proved very serious.


School Treat At Nettlebed. On Wednesday in last week, through the liberality of Mr G Norsworthy Esq and Mrs Norsworthy of Joyce Grove,  the whole of the children belonging to the Board School, also the Sunday School, numbering about one hundred and fifty, were entertained in the schoolroom at one o’clock with a thorough good and substantial dinner consisting of the old English fare of roast beef and plum pudding which was fully enjoyed and appreciated by all. After the ladies and gentlemen had also partaken of dinner G Norsworthy Esq, who is chairman of the school board, after giving a most able address and good advice to the children, proceeded to distribute some very handsome prizes of books,&c given by Mr and Mrs Norsworthy and the school board for good conduct and regular attendance. At the conclusion the vicar proposed a vote of thanks to Mr and Mrs Norsworthy which the children most heartily received with the loudest cheers. There being a quantity of provisions remaining Mr Norswothy kindly distributed amongst eighteen of the poor of the parish.


A sad accident occurred at Nettlebed on Friday at noon to two men, William Bayliss and Thomas Maynard and a boy of 13 named George Harwood, all of whom are in the employ of Mrs Thompson. While busily engaged at Priest Hill in digging a pit,a large quantity of loam fell in on them from above, completely covering them, so that the head of Bayliss had to be groped after. John Shurey, who was a work in a hedge near, went immediately to their rescue. Others coming up to the spot, they were extricated as speedily as possible. Bayliss was found to be very badly bruised in several parts,while the lad Harwood was much hurt in the legs. They were conveyed to their homes,and are now slowly recovering from the shock.

Professor Dight exhibited his feats of legerdemain and sleight of hand to the children on Wednesday evening in the schoolroom. The insolent behaviour of some low fellows, particularly of one individual at the beginning, marred the proceedings which otherwise greatly amused and delighted the young audience.


Presentation to Police Constable Tarry at Nettlebed. A valuable timepiece has been presented to Police Constable Tarry by the inhabitants of Nettlebed and Neighbourhood in recognition of his efficient services in maintaining order and as an expression of sympathy and some compensation for the assault made upon him while in the execution of his duty by notorious poachers some time since and to show the abhorrence in which such acts are held by all law abiding people.

The first of a series of Band Of Hope meetings was held in the schoolroom on Wednesday evening when recitations and interesting addresses were given by several friends,and the meeting was a complete success


Christmas Party at Nettlebed. On wednesday evening last all the men employed by the firm of Messrs Holly & Butler, builders &c, were regaled with a hearty supper of good old English fare supplied by Mrs Giles at The Bull Inn. The men having done ample justice to the good things provided for them, and drinking the health of Messrs Holly & Butler and G Norseworthy Esq (who kindly contributed to the expense), spent the evening in a very jovial manner. The men giving some excellent songs and appropriate toasts. Every one seemed to thoroughly enjoy themselves.


Nettlebed Church Opening.  On the 13th inst, the renewed and beautiful chancel of this church was opened by the incumbent, The Rev and Hon H Bligh, in the presence of The Bishop of Oxford and a great many clergy of the diocese. Most of the neighbouring families attended and seemed glad to follow the suggestions of the excellent sermon, preached by the Bishop,       who gave the congregation to understand that a considerable sum of money was still required to liquidate the bills. It had been a chief care of Mr Bligh that his poor parishioners should be relieved of all expenses attending this fair creation of his own mind – and very fair it is. The architecture is chaste and simple and this has now been adorned by painting and a charming alabaster Reredos of Ventian mosaic on which are the monograms I.H.S.and K.R.I with A.O – Alpha and Omega – or Jesus Christ, the Beginning and the End. These are exquisitely done and very possibly may not be fully understood without explanation. A new organ added it’s harmony to the well conducted service and Nettlebed has seldom, if ever, witnessed so large a congregation. About two o’clock a tent was opened in the vicarage ground and a magnificent collation was well attended. The Bishop’s very good health was given with all the honours and his Lordship returned thanks, reciprocating the compliment and so, with a few more of the usual toasts given on such occasions, the gay party separated, not only delighted with the exceedingly well conducted ceremony, but pleased with the lovely day which was more appreciated in consequence of the coldness and dullness of the previous season.

Complied by Norman Topsom, Henley 2017